B.Sc.Chemistry Model (III) Petrochemicals
(Chemistry and Petrochemicals (Main). Mathematics and Computer Science Complementary.)
Chemistry is the central science that can be related to all other fields of science and technology. The programme will provide a platform to learn the basic ideas of chemistry and related fields. The purpose of the undergraduate chemistry program is to provide the basic knowledge and laboratory resources to prepare students for careers as professionals in the field of chemistry, for graduate study in chemistry and related fields.
Our expected outcomes include
- To provide a fostering and favorable environment for teaching and learning chemistry
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the theory and practice of modern instrumentation and apply it to appropriate chemical problems
- To provide an ability to employ critical thinking and efficient problem-solving skills in the basic areas of chemistry like analytical, inorganic , organic, and physical.
- To train our students for a career related to various fields of chemistry
- To enhance their skills to thrive professionally for the betterment of the society
- Modernize and improve the working atmosphere of chemistry and petrochemical laboratory with more advanced instruments.
- To enhance the laboratory skills needed to design, safely conduct and interpret chemical research
- To encourage more interdisciplinary projects, inter-institutional tie ups etc. to enhance subject exposure of students.
- To design good quality projects to promote the research aptitude in students.
Area of Coverage
The B.Sc. Degree Programme in Chemistry covers three academic years consisting of six semesters and aims to provide the students with an in-depth understanding of and training in chemical sciences. Three years of Chemistry involves different Chemistry subjects which deal with different domains of chemistry like Inorganic, Organic, Physical, and Theoretical. It also includes petrochemicals (both theory and practical) as one of the core course in the first four semesters. The undergraduate programme also includes Mathematics and Computer Science as complementary courses. The curriculum includes On the Job Training, Industrial visits to chemical industries and student projects.
Opportunity for career development in various fields of chemical industries and profession related to petroleum, petrochemicals as well as polymer based industries. Some of the job profiles after completing BSc Chemistry course are:
- Lab Chemist
- Quality Controller
- Lab Assistant
- Water Quality Chemist
- Production Chemist
Students who have an understanding of the fundamental principles and application of Chemistry can pursue a specialized course of study to attain a deep-embedded understanding of this vast field. Students can choose any streams of chemistry or petrochemistry for the post graduate programme. Below is a list of some postgraduate courses in Chemistry, some of which are general while others are specialised programs.
- MSc Chemistry
- MSc Petrochemicals
- MSc Molecular Chemistry
- Masters in Computational Chemistry
- MSc Environment & Green Chemistry
- MSc Oil & Gas Chemistry
- MSc Physical & Materials Chemistry
- MSc Theoretical Chemistry
- MSc Organic Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- MSc Analytical Chemistry
- MSc Organic Chemistry
- MSc Inorganic Chemistry
- MSc Applied Chemistry
- MSc Physical Chemistry
- MSc Industrial Chemistry